Romantic. Elegant. Creative.

Monday, August 4, 2008

Buttercream vs. Fondant



Today is the first day of school for many kids. School supplies have been purchased, book bags are filled, and off they go to get an education. I proudly took both of my excited kids to school today. Of course my teenager would only let me take her as far as the parking lot! But I digress.

So with education on my mind, I decided to teach you a little about buttercream vs. fondant to frost your cake. Buttercream is made with butter, sugar, and eggs while fondant is made of sugar syrup, and glucose. Once fondant has been cooked and cooled, it can be rolled and draped over each tier of your cake. It has a smooth elegant but firm look, which can be hard to cut. Buttercream is creamy and soft so easier to cut. However, because it is made with butter, heat and humidity can cause the cake to melt. Buttercream cakes need to be kept cool. Fondant handles heat better which may look better in your photos.

As far as the best value per slice, buttercream wins easily. The verdict is still out on taste. Many people prefer the taste of buttercream, but some like fondant as well. Those that don't, simply peel it off. It is all a matter of what is more important to you.
Photo by: Angie Silvy

No comments: